Tuesday, April 28, 2009

At long last

The thing is, you caught me at a bad time. I was young and ridiculously naive. You may as well have been dating an adolescent. You were dating the mindset of a 13-year-old.
I'd had it fixed in my mind for so long that you were my one. I'd made this perfect little world where we eventually lived Happy Ever After and I nourished the thought for a long time.
It was fixed so firmly in my mind that I didn't care what we did because you were my first and last everything. It didn't matter how far we went because it just didn't matter - we had forever.
But it did matter because I knew we didn't have forever. I knew we wouldn't last. Somewhere in there, I knew you weren't my one and the times when I got upset with myself and with us were the times that that realization escaped my carefully constructed bubble of obliviousness and tried to choke me with its dream-shattering truth. I preferred to ignore the dirty knowledge that lurked beneath my pristine fantasies and continue with my happy-go-lucky ideals; and toward the end, I was - sadly - able to accomplish that with more ease.
I was stupid.
I was idealistic.
I was stubborn and I was viciously and embarrassingly and unforgivably naive. Except you did forgive me - you told me as much.
I am sorry that I subjected you to me. You know I'm sorry and I won't apologize anymore because it's over. It's not just over between me and you, it's over between me and my fantastical delusions.
At long last, love, we can call this finished.

No comments: